Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Monday 20 May 2013

Review: Sweet Peril - Wendy Higgins

Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)Title: Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy #2)
Author: Wendy Higgins
Release Date: April 30th 2013
Publisher:  HarperTeen
Genres: YA, Paranormal, Romance
Pages: 371
Source: Bought

Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things.

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?
 

Isn't the cover just so bloody gorgeous?!? When I first saw it I was like WHOA and I sincerely hoped the instead was just as breathtaking. And you know what? It was everything I hoped for and more.

SWEET PERIL has got to be one of the most strongest sequels out there. Just when you think that it couldn't possibly top SWEET EVIL, it just continues to prove you wrong. I honestly don't really have anything negative to say about this sequel, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it. The awesome characters, the swoonworthy Kai(!!!), the whole Neph thing, everything just came together for me and this Sweet series is now right there at the top with my favourite paranormal YA series.

Now, let's talk about my future husband, Kaidan. *fans self* This guy couldn't get hotter. Yes, he was an absolute dick in the first half (so heartbreaking by the way), but he was only doing all those things to protect Anna. Normally, I would have rolled my eyes at that, but not with Kai. Everything he has ever done was with a valid reason, and we might not like it, but we get why. We don't really get to see him that much in the first half, but OH BOY THE SECOND HALF KILLED ME WITH THE SCENES OF KAI. He soooo redeemed himself at the end, and I here I thought I couldn't love him more.

While I was indifferent to Anna in SWEET EVIL, she totally won me over in SWEET PERIL. Yes, she's still the smart, good girl, but she has changed a lot. She's now stronger, more capable of taking care of herself, but overall she's just a normal girl with a very big big big heart. She also didn't annoy me as much (I got so annoyed with her crying in the first book) and I couldn't help rooting for her and Kai.

Before starting this, I was dreading the thought of the love triangle. Now THIS, THIS IS A LOVE TRIANGLE DONE RIGHT. That is, if you want to call it a love triangle. To me personally, it wasn't a love triangle. Anna knew right from the very beginning who her heart belongs to and doesn't try to lead the other guy. HURRAY! I do love Kope (such a sweetie) but come on, no one can beat Kai. ;)

The Nephilim aspect is one that you wouldn't normally see in the other YA angels/demons stories out there. To me, this series is totally unique and one (if not, the) best out there. I just adore the whole idea of it, and I'm dying for SWEET RECKONING to come out! The ending of this book is just perfect.

This just has the perfect blend of action and romance and just ahhhh everything. I love the whole journey Wendy took us in SWEET PERIL, and how she got us all invested in her characters. I would love to see more of Blake in the next book, please! :)


2 comments:

  1. I'm dying for Sweet Reckoning too! And I agree, this is definitely one of the best sequels I've read. KAIDAN <3 <3
    Awesome review, Jana xD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...