Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Thursday 10 January 2013

Review: The Rules - Stacey Kade

The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)Title: The Rules (Project Paper Doll #1)
Author: Stacey Kade
Release Date: April 23rd 2013
Publisher:  Disney Hyperion
Genres: YA, Sci-fi, Paranormal romance
Pages: 416
Source: For review

1. Never trust anyone.

2. Remember they are always searching.

3. Don’t get involved.

4. Keep your head down.

5. Don’t fall in love.

Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”

But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…

 
Ariane (the main character) is like half-alien, half-human and you guys know how much I love aliens right now (helllo, Daemon Black anyone?). I knew aliens are a hot trend right now in YA and if you're really digging sci-fi and paranormal right now, this should really be in you TBR list.
 
This wasn't anything like I expected. In a totally good way. (I'm not saying I thought this would be bad/horrible, the story just wasn't what I expected) :) And I can say that I applaud Stacey Kade for THE RULES. She made this a very original and engaging read!
 
Now we can move on and finally talk about the hottie. Yes, his name is Zane. Yes, I know that's a sexy name. But no, that's not the only thing that's hot and sexy about him. Zane should be really boring since he's human (haha) but he's anything but. This swoony guy just earned a place in my Book Boyfriends list. ;) The chemistry between Ariane and Zane was just WHOA!! It was just so sweet and hot (yeah, I'm saying that a lot about this book) and everything that a romance should be. The pace of their friendship-to-relationship was just done really well and it wasn't rushed at all.
 
This book was full of twists and turns and I enjoyed every minute of it. I could NEVER have guessed that and it just wowed me completely! The high-school sub plot was really interesting and you get the typical high school people. Yes, there's the mean, spoiled and rich popular girl that likes the male interest and bullies the main character. I have read a lot of that in YA books (who hasn't?) but with this, I didn't get annoyed at that and I found it quite enjoyable to read about.
 
THE RULES is the beginning of the series, but thank God that it wasn't an evil, evil cliffhanger. Hehe. It's enough to make us readers want more, but it's done without you wanting to throw your book (or in my case, my kindle) at the wall. Or the window.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. No evil cliff-hanger and developed romance, sounds great to me! :) I'm not totally into aliens, but I'm always willing to give them a try. I someday might find THE book that makes me fall in love with them: perhaps this is the one :D Great review!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I could have gotten my hands on this book. It looks so good. No evil cliff-hanger is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Sorry, I commented twice my a mistake-

    Great review!! I haven't read any alien books in 2012, but I will be happy to try this genre again. Added to my to-read list (:

    Sapir@Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...