Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Monday 15 October 2012

Review: Flukes - Nichole Chase

FlukesTitle: Flukes
Author: Nichole Chase
Release Date: October 6th 2012
Genre: New Adult, Paranormal
Pages: 162
Source: Bought
 

Meena has a secret guarded closely by her family—a secret as dangerous as the sea, and buried just as deep. When court appointed community service workers are assigned to Flukes, the family-owned animal sanctuary, everyone is on high alert. It doesn’t help that Meena finds herself attracted to sexy-as-sin Blake Weathering, one of the new workers. If he wasn’t so distracting, she might be able to land Flukes a much-needed cruise line contract.

Blake Weathering, the first in his family to attend public school, has developed a tough image. Unfortunately it lands him in trouble. Now banned from his high school graduation ceremony, getting his diploma is dependent upon a community service gig cleaning fish crap. No diploma, no trust fund fortune—and no way to escape his overbearing father. The last thing he needs is the distraction of a mysterious girl with teal eyes who pulls at his heart strings.

When Blake discovers Meena’s secret, they are both thrown into a desperate search for information about her past. Two worlds pull them in opposite directions, and they will have to fight to hold onto all that really matters.


To be honest, I didn't know this was a mermaid book until I read a review on Goodreads. Call me stupid but I really didn't get that from the summary or the cover. I know. 

I feel like this is a bit like Twilight. Especially the romance. I thought it was too fast, only knew each other a few weeks and then now they're like confessing their 'true love' to each other. YUCK. And since this is more NA than YA, a few scenes are quite graphic and a little 'more' than typical YA romantic scenes. Just warning there. Both characters are quite stereotypical. There wasn't really something special about either of them.

There wasn't really some great conflict. I thought the characters' problems were sorted out pretty quickly than I like. But that's maybe because this book is only 162 pages, so the author couldn't really develop everything. The pace was fast and the writing was nothing special, really. 

It's one of those books where you don't really know why you're liking it, but still continue reading. Anyway, I think people who love mermaid books (and who aren't yet tired of all the mermaid books out there) and just a short romance story, will like Flukes. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read a single mermaid book yet. I guess I really should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have thought "mermaid" from this cover, either. I mean, just because there's water involved doesn't mean mermaid. Look at the MARA DYER covers. So I'm with you on this one. And it doesn't seem like this book is much of anything special. Maybe something to take a look at if I have asudden urge for cliched mermaid books?

    ♥Jessica(:

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...