Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Saturday 27 October 2012

Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Release Date: October 23rd 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery/Thriller, Paranormal
Pages: 544
Source: Bought
 


Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was my most anticipated book in 2011, and when I read it, I was so blown away. My mind was like fucked up from reading that book. Seriously. And after reading it's magnificent sequel, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, well, I can say that book has nothing on this one. Prepare yourself for more WTFuckery.  

I'm still on the fence about the plot. On one hand, it's very different and crazy and just awesome, but on the other, I felt like some parts of it was very cliche and I was like 'is that it??' and was left kinda disappointed (but not much). The story has so much depth and layered that it's impossible to not be lost in their world.

Mara and Noah have such great chemistry together, but in this book I wasn't very impressed with them. I feel like after so much they've gone through, they shouldn't keep secrets from each other. That really annoyed me. Anyway, they're still one of my favourite YA couples and I loved their banter together. 

This series has the best family ever. I LOVED Mara's family. Unlike the majority of YA - where either the MC's parents were dead, not really there, or just didn't really care about their children - the Dyer family was actually heavily involved with the story and I really admired that. The best character in this series is Mara's older brother, Daniel. I want a brother like him! Also, Joseph is such a cutie, and both their parents (especially her mum) was very well developed and interesting. I would love to read more about them in the next book! 

I loved Michelle's writing. The short chapters were so addictive, and I love how each chapter ended and you're like 'WANT TO READ MORE'. Just couldn't stop reading. I finished this in less than a day (with school) and considering that it's 544 pages, I think that's saying a lot. 

I think what brought this down to a 4 goddess rating was the ending. I felt like it was too abrupt and I still had so many fucking questions, and it's such a pain because I now have to wait for next year for the third and last book, AND I still feel like we didn't really found out anything. I was just as confused in the beginning.  

Though I personally don't think it's as powerful as the first book, I think most fans of Mara Dyer would be very pleased and satisfied with this sequel.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...