Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Thursday 16 August 2012

Review: Cursed - Jennifer L. Armentrout

CursedTitle: Cursed

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: September 18th 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Pages: 312
Source: ARC (provided by the publisher - thank you!!!)

Dying sucks--and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he’s a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she’s more than interested. There’s just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she’s willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?

But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she’s not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.
When I got an ARC of Cursed and Deity (Covenant #3), I thought my life was complete. I mean come on, it's JLA we're talking about. Anything she writes is bound to be freaking amazing right? Yes and yes. I can't wait to post my review of Deity (will post in Nov) so I can pretty much gush about it. But anyway, when I found out about Cursed and read the summary, I was hooked. Girl's touch kills and a no touch policy with boys? Yes please. 

After finishing CURSED, I'll be truly honest and say that this is my least favourite book of her's.Which isn't really all that bad, since the Lux and Covenant series are my all-time faves ever. And I really enjoyed reading this (hence the 4 stars rating). I just thought something was missing. Hmm, maybe Daemon? LOL I love Hayden, but anyone who knows me pretty much knows I love me bad boys. And Hayden is pretty much a good boy.

Ember was another one of Jen's female characters that I love. Ember was very likeable, a sympathetic character and one that you'd want to be friends with. I felt very sorry for her just by thinking of what she went through. On the other hand, I'm kinda glad that this 'accident' happened because I don't think I like the Ember before. Her little sister Olivia annoyed me in the beginning and made me so happy that I don't have a sister. But throughout the book,  I learned to love her as well. She was a sweetie. The other characters were also brilliantly fleshed out and I found myself enjoying the scenes with them. Even though I wanted to slap some of them, too. I'm looking at you, Phoebe.

The romance is one that I obviously have to mention. Given that this is Jen's book, obviously we can expect some very hot sexy swoony scenes between our two main leads. And she doesn't disappoint. I loved how even though Ember and Hayden couldn't touch, they still have a very sizzling chemistry. At times it was very sweet and innocent, and at others OMG I had to fan myself. 

The plot may be one that is fairly on trend right now in YA (girl's touch kills, x-men stuff going on etc.), but Jennifer still manages to make it entirely her own. I think she can make ANYTHING original and fun. I also loved the mystery aspect too, and it was one of the factors why I couldn't put this book down. I don't think I need to say anything about her writing. WE ALL KNOW HOW GOOD JEN IS, RIGHT? Especially her writing and her swoony scenes. Sigh.

The part that really let me down was the fact that I knew who the bad guy was the moment they stepped on the page. And I was so annoyed at Ember for not figuring it out. He practically had VILLAIN and creepy stalker tattooed on his damn forehead. Tsk tsk. 

This is just a stand-alone for now, but Jen said that might change. I REALLY want this to be a series. I'll definitely read the sequel, and I think in that way, I'll appreciate the story and the characters a whole lot more. Overall, CURSED is highly recommended if you're a JLA fan. Which I know you ALL are :P



Thank you so so much to Spencer Hill Press for sending me an ARC of Cursed and Deity (Covenant #3) I love you.

6 comments:

  1. I think I'm the last YA loving person who hasn't read one book by JLA, but it's about to change, because I bought Obsidian. This books sounds so good too! SO, I'll read this too! Thanks for the amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And please please please read OBSIDIAN now!! :D

      Delete
  2. Gah! I'm so jealous! I can't wait to read this book too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Jana
    My review is already up and I gave it 5 stars. You know what I'm like with Jen's books I don't think I could ever give her anything less than a million stars ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I know! I'm a bit sad I had to give this 4 stars :( But she's still my favourite author ever. And I read your review once you posted it on your blog, loved it! :)

      Delete
  4. I've been hearing a lot that this was a let-down, well for a book by Jennifer it was. I still haven't read any of her books, but maybe I'll start with this one first so my expectations aren't so high? I think that's what made everyone not like this book as much as what was expected so maybe since I haven't read any of her books I'll like it more. Great review Jana. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...