Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Review: Don't You Wish - Roxanne St. Claire

Author: Roxanne St. Claire
Genre: YA, Contemporary, (bit) Paranormal
Release Date: July 10th 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 368
Source: For Review

When plain and unpopular Annie Nutter gets zapped by one of her dad's whacked-out inventions, she lands in a parallel universe where her life becomes picture-perfect. Now she's Ayla Monroe, daughter of the same mother but a different father—and she's the gorgeous, rich queen bee of her high school. 

In this universe, Ayla lives in glitzy Miami instead of dreary Pittsburgh and has beaucoup bucks, courtesy of her billionaire—if usually absent—father. Her friends hit the clubs, party backstage at concerts, and take risks that are exhilirating . . . and illegal. Here she's got a date to lose her V-card with the hottest guy she's ever seen.

But on the inside, Ayla is still Annie.

So when she's offered the chance to leave the dream life and head home to Pittsburgh, will she take it?

The choice isn't as simple as you think.

 ^^ YES. The choice isn't as simple as you think. OMG. This was such an unexpected read and I am so glad I requested in on Netgalley (thank you!). This is one of my favourites and the kind that sticks with you long after you read it and I just want MORE. A perfect contemporary with a little paranormal peeking in.


The concept was very intriguing. What if you were given a chance to live another life? To become popular? To have everyone worship you? Would you wish that? Annie Nutter is a 'nobody' and when she fiddled with her father's invention, and wishes to be 'someone', her life changed forever, literally. I think this is what teens are going through. How many of us once wished that we had a different life? To become a billionaire's daughter and have lots of friends? I think like that. But this book teaches you that everything happens for a reason, and all you go through in life shapes you as a person and makes you STRONGER.

I fell in love with the characters. Crazy Annie Nutter and her 'old' family was just a regular family and they remind me of my family. They have lots of problems and misunderstandings, yes, but in the end, we all love each other and we don't regret anything. I really appreciate that Annie was still the same Annie even when she 'became' Ayla. You know, she could have gone along and stole clothes and jewellery (why do super-rich people steal? I don't understand the 'rush' with that when they have got their own money) like her 'friends' but she didn't. She stayed true to herself, and that's one of the reasons that I respect her.

The love interest was OH SO SWEET. I love that he was a bit geeky and that he wears this old hat (and yet he still looks cute). I enjoyed learning more about his history and his family. The rest of the characters were amazing as well, her mother Emily was depressed in both lives yet you can see she puts her children first.

The ending was totally unpredictable (or was that just me?)! I was so in Annie's head that I wouldn't know what to do - should she go back to being an 'invisible' or stay as a 'perfect' person? The choice isn't simple. She couldn't just do what she wants, but she has to think about other people? If she go back to her old life, then everything would change and it would affect other people too. I really sympathized with her and the ending was very fullfilling yet leaves a very open ending for readers. It was very bittersweet and I JUST LOVE IT OMFG.

Well guys, I know I couldn't write a review and do this book justice but hey, I tried. If you don't buy this - I will hunt you down ;P 





1 comments:

  1. I loved this one so much!! Basically everything you said was how I felt too. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...